02 July, 2007

Books and Me!!!!


Well in my earlier post i have posted that 'm a voracious reader of books. well ya its true. i have been reading books ever since i remember.Even when i was in school i used to read my english text book well before the teacher has taken it in class. I used to finish off the text book in the holidays itself.
I first started off by reading comics like Champak, Tinkle etc. These were my first books and i still have them. I have not given it out or something like that. the oldest Champak comic book i have dates back to 1993. So most probably i must have started reading these books then. First and all i used to read only the picture stories and all. Later on i started to read the short stories in them. I always used to like Tinkle those days as they had fully illustrated stories only. Once somebody, i dont exactly remember, brought me a huge bundle of books, the ones of Phantom, Mandrake and all. I gave them for book binding as they were in almost in taters. and after binding i got a set of 5 books in which each book was atleast 2 inches thick. So you can Imagine how huge the bundle initially was.

Slowly i graduated to other books other than Champak, tinkle and those kind of books. While i was looking for something in my fathers cupboard i found some old paperbacks. I started reading them and like them. Then my father started bringing me some paperbacks. When i was in 4th or 5th, PaiCo, which is a leading book selling shop in Kerala brought out a series of classics in illustrated format. This was my first encounter with classics. and when i started reading them i didnt know that these were classics. These included books like Gone with the wind, Tom swayer, Oliver Twist, Most classics of Shakesphere, Robinson Crusoe , Dracula etc. I enjoyed reading these books very much. There were 30 books in the series before they discontinued it. In between this i got 2 huge book. One of which contained all the stories in Arabian Nights and the other one which had all the Shakespearen classics.

Well that time i was in Mumbai and whenever i got a chance i used to buy lots of books. Once when i came back to Kochi for a holiday one of my mom's cousin introduced me to a library. That was my first time in a Library. and i used to take books from his account and that was the first time i read fiction books.This was also the time i started reading books like Hardy Boys, Enid Blyton etc.

In 10th i had the taste of Harry Potter. From then on i have read all the 6 books(till now) a number of times. I have read it so many times that i have lost count.Then after 10th i took my my membership in a library and from then on i regularly used to take books from there and read. Even now i try to read at least one book per week even when exams are on. I cannot say that i read daily books because once i start a book i cannot rest until i end the book.

My favorite book till now are da Vinci code and most of the books of Dan Brown, HP series, J.R.R Tolkien's modern day epic The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, The Firm by John Grisham, Timeline by Michale Crichton, The godfather by Mario Puzo, The Bourne Series by Robert Ludlum and there are many more.

My favorite author's are Dan Brown and J.K. Rowling. Nowadays i read lot of books written by of John Grisham an Robert Ludlum.

3 comments:

diyadear said...

wow aswin,
u have read a gr8 many books.. thats good. i was a mad of of enid blyton too ,however not so crazy at HP.. im impressed u read ludlum n grisham. keep goin buddy!!

Aswin said...

ludlum and grisham are the ones i read most these days.'m currently reading ludlum's bourne ulitmatum which i got after a long search of book with friends.

Getting started..! said...

its a v late comment!..but i jus read dis post ..!!...!! gues wat ...champak .tnkle n ol w one o my vry frst books tooo!!!!..hehe..den ovr to a lot o enid blytons....agatha christie in btwn..perrymason...!! den of course harry potter!:)..tws a mania fr sm tym!..it stilL iS.!!.:):)..den sidney sheldons.roal dahl;gisham..n dan brown !!.. brown n rowling wud b my favryts too...:)...chetan bhagat n jeffry archr lately ..!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails